Gilded Glove Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterPetition to return to OBC. RegisterhwLog in

Petition to return to OBC.

Go down 
+2
Furr
Grec
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Grec

Grec

Petition to return to OBC. Empty
PostSubject: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 12:16 am

Let's face it guys, this place is shit. We've ruined what we've accomplished with OBC. Let's just go back, I can't stand this place any longer. Everybody who hates this place/wants to go back to OBC, please sign this petition. The sooner we take action, the sooner we can fix our problems.

Last edited by Grec on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Furr
Fizz's Bitch
Furr

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 12:21 am

I really don't like this place. While it was a nice thought, nothing good has happened since other than 1-2 people joining. Ever since we've transfered it's just been a downwards spiral with only a couple rest stops, no up. I think, if anything, we should be trying to work with OBC. The name sucks in all honesty, and just like Supra said, I wanted to quit when I saw it. Even though we don't have the old name in our image, OBC still fits the othe big thing were trying to franchise, Blazblue. Just, please, don't let ths keep running us into the ground.

~Furr
Back to top Go down
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 12:30 am

Great, the more people we have signing, the better Fizz and Jem will realize that this forum is screwed up.
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:21 am

OK guys, I'm going to respond to what you're saying, but to be honest, there's not that much that can be said because your arguments are extremely unclear. But anyway.

First of all. Everyone needs to stop thinking of what we can accomplish in terms of what the first and second (not third) OBC accomplished, because that's the past. They thrived on the release of a new game. But they went from being extremely active to utterly dead. And that is because enthusiasm for Brawl is not anywhere near what it once was. It's a fact.

Now, Furr, you claimed (and Grec agreed with you in chat) that G3 has had nothing but a series of downward spirals. This is the part that's the least clear to me. Forumotion OBC had more members, sure, but it was around for much longer than G3 has been around, and the number of ACTIVE members was in all honestly SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what we have now. It's a simple fact. I haven't verified this but I'm perfectly able to if you guys would like. I would also like to note that the number of posts per day is much higher on this forum.

So obviously a downward spiral to you guys means something other than a decrease in activity or a decrease in posts. And I don't know what it does mean, so it'd be good if someone could clear that up.

Now, some people have complained a bit about the name. I would like to point out that the old OBC voted and chose this name. But if a majority of our members really believe we should change the name, we are able, on phpBB2, to change the name without entirely restarting the site as we did before.

On chat you guys were saying that we should be an all-purpose site but still be called the Online Brawl Community. We discussed this on the old forums but I'm personally quite opposed to this due to the fact that the name is quite misleading (Brawl doesn't mean fight in the gaming world. It means SSBB. This simply cannot be gotten around).

Any other arguments, post here and I will respond to them. If there are aesthetic problems you believe this site has, post them here and they will be dealt with if deemed worthy of being dealt with.
Back to top Go down
https://gildedglovegaming.forumotion.com
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:34 am

I don't think you understand that Jem's goals were to make this site into a gaming hub. Our plan was to make this site into a small community that had fun. Jem got rid of the Chat so it would be more professional, but guess what: HUB'S DON'T WORK ON SITES THAT HOST FORUMS. They are supposed to be for small communities. Besides, we've lost some regulars because of the chat removal. It was just a bad idea, and I just don't want to come here because it's just so...stupid. GGG means gay forum community (and no, it's not GFC). That would probably put off a lot of people. And besides, Gilded Glove Gaming? What the fuck does that mean? I'm betting you when a potential members takes a look at our forum, here is his/her's thoughts.

Gilded Glove Gaming eh? Sounds like a clan. (If he isn't turned off by that, then)
No chat eh? Guess I won't know much about the members or what this forum is trying to accomplish then. (If he isn't turned off by that, then)
Well, the forum looks dead (I know, we just started, but a potential member WOULD NOT KNOW THIS). And if he is a idiot he will stay or if he's just like any other normal person he would leave.

Do you see were we are coming from now?
Back to top Go down
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:36 am

And no fizz, this topic isn't labeled tell us your problems with the site. It's labeled petition to return to OBC. It's been made to show that the members dislike this forum, k? But I guess we won't have that many people signing because the people that didn't like it left.
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:43 am

You're right, but the point of that was to possibly change what we have now rather than completely revert to what we had before.

And again, if the majority of members are against the name, we can always change it without completely resetting forums.

And honestly since I don't know what a gaming hub is I can't really respond to that argument.

For the chat removal thing, obviously changing back to OBC has nothing
to do with whether we have a chat or not. We can have a chat here if
the majority of members decide they want it. Although what we have now
works alright for me. It's fairly easy to find the chat, as the post is
stickied and put where you'd expect it to be. And I'm not fond of
portals in general, I hate the name, and everything but the chat is
essentially pointless, just filler. I don't see why it's any better
than what we have now.

As for the forum looking dead, OBC looks deader. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Furr
Fizz's Bitch
Furr

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:48 am

OBC looks 'deader' because OBC has been changed to this site for now; so anyone that would post there is posting here instead. A gaming hub is where people go to talk about anything, and people only know so many other people in the community. I'd rather hold the grasp where I know most if not all of the members, not that we have thousands of them and there's no community.
Back to top Go down
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:51 am

A gaming hub is something like gamefaqs. And OBC only looks deader because we haven't been there in forever. Why couldn't you just change the name of OBC in the first place? Wouldn't that have been a lot simpler then making a new forum? I mean, why try to fix something that isn't broken? We were doing just find supporting multiple games besides Brawl. And I did like the Portal, I used it to see what's been happening. A lot of people use it for that, to see what active discussions are going on. NS_Supra quit because of the portal removal, and I'm sure many other members did too. Besides, me and Naten discussed it earlier. When we first heard of the idea we just thought it was pointless, and I just wanted to stop going.
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:53 am

But the site name has nothing to do with any of that. I have no plan to make this a massive thing where people don't know like anyone else. I don't know where that impression comes from but it's a false one. We've been having ideas like the TvC gyms and Friday Night Doubles, which are competition for fairly small groups of people. That's the sort of competition I enjoy and that I strive for with this site. I obviously can't speak for the other admins but that's how I feel.

And yeah, that's the reason OBC looks deader, but what I'm saying is that "G3 looks dead" is not a reason to return to OBC.

Edit: In response to Grec, we had to restart forums because for some reason phpbb3 does not allow you to simply change the site name.
Back to top Go down
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:56 am

That may not be what YOU are doing, but it's what JEM is doing. He got rid of the Portal to make this site more professional. You see, Jem said that we would get more members by moving to this new site. But how many people have we gotten? Like, 1 person that's not even active?
Back to top Go down
VZero
Power Gym Leader
Power Gym Leader

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:58 am

Not too burst anyoens bubble but even when we were at the New OBC, teh days before we even thought of switching sites, post were not even that high. cmon a main event was pushed back later to be cancelled

the portal isnt really destroyed, you can click the chat from the communication thread, and yeah NS_Supra and Cookie are the only 2 members i know that refuse to come here, but even then that doesnt cahnge everything no offense to any of them but cookie was only somewhat active on forums and Supra only comes for the chat, never active on the forums.

I mean yeah i know this site may not be active at teh moment, but i say its better to try something new, rather to be at the same stalemate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/viewtifulzero
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 1:59 am

True, we haven't gotten many new members yet. On the other hand, we got very few new members on the OBC too. The problem is that a site has to be pretty active to get members, and this site has been quite a bit more active than Forumotion OBC.

Edit: Thanks VZero, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Edit2: And I know you guys think the site isn't that active but in recent days we've been frequently hitting the 40-post-per-day mark, and we've even gone up to almost 70. It's much more activity than this community has seen in awhile.
Back to top Go down
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:04 am

So? It isn't user friendly, and that's the thing that matters the most. Fizz, I know you probably think I'm just a whiny idiot; but I care about this place too you know. Think about it, do you think a potential member would know what to do when he came to our forum? No, he wouldn't. I mean, I care about the events too, but does that mean that trashing our old site and making this new one is going to change something? Hell, it'd probably make things worse. All forums are active for at least a little bit at first, but then eventually the test of time comes. First impressions are never a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Furr
Fizz's Bitch
Furr

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:10 am

A hub is general anything, in this case, gaming. We've leaned away from specific games to general fighting games, and it's starting to show. In the end, we'll more than likely just end up shifting to something else as soon as we're given an opportunity to up ourselves. Nintendo Hub did this same thing, shifting, shifting, shifting, shifting, all the way until it was completely unrecognizable as what it had started as, a SSBB community. The worst thing we've done since we brought OBC back was take away the chat, therefore further eliminating what defined our community as an individual, a lively chat. The portal not only offered a convenience in chat, it also offered us a quick overlook into current site happenings, a bulletin below the chat, and a recent activity board to the right. Even the portal says it, the chat is a centerpiece. While this isn't the best thing, it's what keeps us going; it's what seperates us from Gamefaqs. With the change in the site, we lost members, with the removal of the chat, we lost members; with the change in theme, we gained very, very few members. We're in the red. Perhaps it's time to cut our losses and truly, honestly look at what we're doing. Watch where you leap, you wouldn't want to fall to your demise
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:13 am

Grec, I don't think you're a whiny idiot in the slightest. I'm really happy that you care enough about the community to bring this up because members that actually care is what makes a community great.

But anyway, you're saying that the site is confusing for new members? I mean, there are a lot of forums but they're all fairly clear, it seems to me. But if you think some things should be changed in that respect tell me.

If there are things that you think should be changed about this site then I'm all ears, but I'm quite opposed to simply going back the the old forums, mainly because 1. there were a lot of major problems with them and 2. it would be subjecting the community to another major change which would maybe be unnecessary if we can fix the problems while keeping the same forums.
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:17 am

Furr, I see what you're saying but what it implies to me is that you think we should go back to being simply a brawl site, and I think that's a really bad idea. The old OBC showed that it doesn't really work anymore. Now, I know this major shift seemed to be just us expanding to gain a couple more members, but that's not what happened. This change was simply a way for the site to survive. We won't be changing and changing to fit the needs of the moment. The site as it is it pretty good (perhaps not aesthetically but that's another matter) and we won't be changing again without a good reason to do so.
Back to top Go down
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 am

When forum sites start out they are always active. Dur. Please, just put the portal back in. We aren't going to make a gaming hub or anything like Jem is trying to accomplish. Just make this site user friendly. It's not a big deal.

You know what? I have a better Idea. Let's delete the forums and make a board for every single game made on every single console ever! Good idea amirite? (By the way I'm being sarcastic.)
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:27 am

True, but there are a lot of great people here and I think given our long history and how awesome the members are we may last a little longer than most. Very Happy

But as for the portal, it's a possibility. We should probably vote on it or something.

Technically you can still access it at https://gildedglovegaming.forumotion.com/portal.htm but there's not a link.
Back to top Go down
Furr
Fizz's Bitch
Furr

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:34 am

I'm the one that found out the cheap-cheat, but regardless, I'd like a link on the tabs up top so I don't have to use backspace and have it in my favorites and all. -_-
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:36 am

I guess so.

I'll wait until some of the other admins get on and discuss it.
Back to top Go down
Grec

Grec

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:37 am

It would make it easier for the new members too. A portal helps us out a lot more, even if you don't like the name. Just call it home.
Back to top Go down
Fizz
Flying Gym Leader
Flying Gym Leader
Fizz

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:41 am

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do if we go through with it. I made a thread about it in a forum that you guys can't see. Wink

So we'll see.
Back to top Go down
shadowray7
So Zetta Slow
So Zetta Slow
shadowray7

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Just bring back the link to the portal man, it shouldn't be that hard
Back to top Go down
RogueLeader
Everyone's Favorite Loner
RogueLeader

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 4:15 pm

fizz, i would like to side with you, but i liked obc more. we were all unified like brothers and we all agreed (most of the time). ever since we left the original(technically second) obc, things never got better. we should just stop this madness now.

obc forever.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Petition to return to OBC.   Petition to return to OBC. Empty

Back to top Go down

Petition to return to OBC.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gilded Glove Gaming :: Community :: General Discussion-
Jump to: